The following World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) events are happening around Alberta:
Events at 2 Save On Food locations from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on June 15th . The following will be included:
- Grocery bag inserts for the week leading up
- A Saturday BBQ
- A multi-media campaign including a public service announcement, media & invitation and a variety of news articles
- Chocolate bundles with pins and ribbons highlighting the website and the LEARN contact information
Edmonton - Friday June 14th at noon
- Proclamation Event at Seniors Centre
- Theme – Financial Literacy/Empowerment – Mayor Mandel and Minister of Health, Dave Rodney in attendance. Woman telling her story of abuse and how she got out with the support of Financial Literacy group.
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day: Conversation Café
at Genesis Centre of Community Wellness, 7556 Falconridge Blvd. NE Calgary
Café style conversation with service providers
Screening of a digital story, ‘The Gatekeepers’
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Café - Ogden House Seniors, 2102 – 69 Avenue SE Calgary
- The Generations Project in Red Deer is hosting a panel discussion with RCMP, Office of Public Guardian, a financial planner and a lawyer on Saturday June 15 from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. titled “Empower Yourself, learn about Financial Abuse” -
at Golden Circle Senior Resource Centre 4620 47A Ave Red Deer AB.
Purple is the colour of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. You can help us recognize the day by wearing purple and talking to friends and neighbours about this important community issue.